We’re hiring for a Technical Manager who will be based in our Manchester Laboratory in Trafford Park, Manchester.
A small team of chemists works in the lab, which is close to our Head Office. You’ll work with the wider business on new and existing product development. We need an experienced Chemist who can manage a team and the development phase of products, and if you’re passionate and knowledgeable about cars that would be a bonus!
About the Role:
· Direct responsibility for the development phase of the corporate NPD process, ensuring all EPD (VA/VE – value added / engineered) and NPD projects are delivered to the brief, on time, on budget, compliant to the relevant regulations and to relevant production/quality requirements/standards.
· Manage, support and mentor a team of three development chemists and a regulatory specialist, covering four brands plus significant private label work across all of our product categories (Appearance/Paints, Additives, Winter/Coolants, and Repair & Maintenance).
· Ensure all technical documentation (internal and to customers) is completed and published in a timely manner.
· Manage all aspects of the day to day running of the laboratory following GLP (Good Laboratory Practice).
· Monitor the technical, regulatory and competitor landscape to provide NPD opportunities, identify threats, strengths and weaknesses.
· Provide technical support to large national customer base for branded and private label products directly and via the sales team.
· Provide technical support to manufacturing, quality, procurement, customer services and marketing.
· Provide technical training internally and direct to customers.
· Manage and support the team in providing technical support and complaint resolution directly to consumers and customers.
· Manage product cost generation, and provide/input into basic value chain analysis to either identify projected margin or identify cost target for development.
· Provide technical input during the ideas phase of the process for feasibility and risk for formulation, claims and packaging prior to any new projects being approved.
· Provide updates to, and work with the senior leadership team to ensure awareness of project status, risk, cost and other relevant challenges.
· Attend and participate in all relevant meetings, acting as conduit of information both to and from the technical team.
What We’re Looking For:
· Creative, methodical and logical approach and always challenge the norm
· Excellent team working & communication skills
· Proven technical capability for a wide range of formulation types and packaging formats
· Ability to follow internal processes and manage multiple projects to completion
· Team management
· Problem solving (during development, production and to customer requests)
· Risk mitigation and management
· Ability to quickly build robust relationships with key internal and external project stakeholders
· Commercially minded with the ability to control cost during formulation and packaging development
· Flexibility to work in a fast-paced, customer focussed environment managing conflicting priorities
Must have car to be able to visit head office regularly