2016 is a lucky year, because we all get an extra day. Traditionally, Leap Day is considered the only day when it’s OK for a woman to propose to her groom-to-be, but in more recent times, people celebrate the extra day by doing something new, exciting or just a little bit weird.
So with this in mind, we ask — what will you do with your extra day this Leap Year? Will it just be like any other day, or do you plan to do something truly out of the ordinary? No matter what you’ve got in store for Leap Day ‘16, we’d love to hear from you, so be sure to get in touch on Facebook or Twitter.
If you’re a little lacking in inspiration when it comes to what to do with this year’s Leap Day, we’ve got ideas big and small to help you make the most of the day.
- Take a road trip: Whether you’re supposed to be at work or not, a great way to spend Leap Day is by jumping behind the wheel and hitting the road on a much needed road trip.
- Book a spontaneous getaway: There’s still loads of time to book a last minute holiday, so why not treat you and your other half to a cheeky break? Because hey — a Leap Year only comes once every four years.
- Buy a new car: Loads of people dream of owning a new car, but never follow through and actually get one. But because it’s Leap Year, we say to hell with bills — treat yourself!
- Go out for a posh lunch at work: Given Leap Year lands on a Monday this time round, you’ll no doubt need a little pick-me-up to make it through the day. Come lunchtime, why not ditch the sarnies and go out something more inspiring?
- Do something romantic: Valentine’s Day may be long gone, but Leap Day has a certain romantic feel, too. Whether you make breakfast in bed for your nearest and dearest or cook them a lavish evening meal, it’s nice to spread a little love on this extra day of the year.
- Help out a stranger: Amid the busyness of everyday life, it can be all too easy to neglect to help those in need. This Leap Day, take a few minutes out of your day to play the Good Samaritan — whether that means carrying an someone’s shopping to their car or helping someone fix a flat tyre by the roadside.
- Take your car for a professional valet: Taking care of your car might be the last thing on your to-do list for most of the year, but seeing as it’s a Leap Year, why not show it some TLC by booking it in for a professional valet on the 29th?
- Get back on track with those New Year’s resolutions: Way back at the beginning of the year, many people signed up to a New Year’s resolution — only to break it before the beginning of February. With the arrival of Leap Day, now’s the perfect opportunity to put right your wrongs and get back on track with those New Year’s promises.
- Walk or cycle to work: While it can be tempting to reach for the car keys on a cold February morning, why not make the effort to walk or cycle to work instead? With spring just around the corner, now’s the perfect time to kick-start a keep fit regime.
- Get beneath the bonnet for some DIY car maintenance: If you’ve been putting off getting those niggling issues sorted on your car, set aside some time on Leap Day and have a go at solving the problem yourself. Fixing minor car problems isn’t all that difficult, and doing it yourself can be thoroughly rewarding.
- Build a brand new car: One left field thing to take up this Leap Day that could blossom into a new hobby is building your own car. Kit cars that you can build yourself at home are getting more and more affordable, and offer an exciting on-going project for petrol heads.
- Host a car boot sale: House full of clutter? Earn yourself some extra cash on the 366th day of the year by hosting your own car boot sale, and put the money towards a new car or holiday.
- Start a motoring blog: If you love cars as much as we do, why not start your own motoring blog?
- Propose to your other half: Because we’re old traditionalists here at Redex, we say why not pop the question this Leap Day — no matter whether you’re the bride or groom.
- Invest in Redex fuel additives: Although not the most exciting thing to do on Leap Year, investing in our fuel additives means a fresh start for your engine and more money in your pocket throughout the rest of 2016.To find out more about our range of quality fuel additives, visit the Redex website.